By: Laura Briel
If you’re an outdoors person like myself, than you know well the feeling of dread that can come along with winter season. As the temperature steadily drops, so can your mood. You can no longer sit outside and enjoy a nice, warm breeze or go for an exhilarating nature hike in your shorts.
Over the years, I have discovered enough places to go and things to do around home to keep myself occupied through winter. This year, I will even be learning to ski! The idea is to be flexible in your surroundings in order to live a fulfilled life wherever you happen to be. Fortunately, there are a number of places to go AND things to do in Skaneateles throughout the cold season.
Several places in Skaneateles are especially popular during winter season. Either the events they hold or the services they offer allow them to make big bucks from both the townspeople and a steady flow of visitors. I enjoy visiting places such as the ones listed below. Make sure to check out the list of links at the bottom to see event calendars and additional information. To see the website of an organization, click on the bulleted name.
- Skaneateles YMCA & Community Center – From water aerobics to ice skating to personal training to Zumba classes, this place has it all when it comes to fitness. I used to take kickboxing and Abs Express classes here all the time and they were great!
- Mirbeau Inn and Spa - I consider Mirbeau to be the hidden gem of Skaneateles. This heavenly retreat center offers body treatments, hand and foot treatments, skin care, and facials, couples packages, custom three-step relaxation and balance treatments, and so much more. I promise it will not fall short of your expectations.
- Creekside Books & Coffee – Delicious coffee and desserts accompanied by live music, book clubs, trivia nights, author meets, open mic nights, and on and on. Sounds good to you? It does to me!
- Skaneateles High School Performing Arts plays and musicals – Always check in with the local school if you want to attend a play or musical sometime over the winter. You can see when the next show is by viewing the event calendar, but you will not know specifically what will be playing until they begin advertising locally. Look for posters around town!
- Skaneateles Winterfest – Check out the history of this event on there website, www.syracusewinterfest.com. It began in 1985 when a small group of people committed months of time and energy to celebrate winter. Truly an amazing thing. To see the long list of events held at winterfest, view the calendar.
Skaneateles YMCA & Community Center: Special Events - Fall Brochure
Mirbeau Inn and Spa: Specials and Events - Treatment Brochure & Prices
Creekside Books & Coffee: November 2010 Event Calendar
Skaneateles High School: November 2010 Event Calendar
Winterfest: Event Calendar
- 6/10/2013 • Theater Weekend Held at Adirondack Great Camp
- 6/09/2013 • Skaneateles Hosts Antique and Classic Boat Show
- 6/08/2013 • Baltimore Woods Announces Programs for June 2013
- 6/07/2013 • Imagine Presents ‘Saturation of Color’
- 6/06/2013 • 2nd Annual CNY World Wide Knit in Public Day (WWKIP) is June 15th, 2013